Nwifuru Relaxes Amasiri Curfew, Orders Prosecution of Crisis Suspects

 Nwifuru Relaxes Amasiri Curfew, Orders Prosecution of Crisis Suspects



By Nkechinyere Ewa


The Government of Ebonyi State has relaxed the curfew earlier imposed on Amasiri Autonomous Community following a review of the security situation in the area.


The decision was taken at a Security Council meeting held on February 17, 2026, at the Executive Council Chamber, Government House, Abakaliki.


Governor Francis Ogbonna Nwifuru said the adjustment followed deliberations on ongoing investigations and the progress recorded by security agencies. Under the new arrangement, the curfew will now run from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily.


The Council also considered measures to restore full normalcy to Amasiri and Okporojo communities, stressing the need for urgent steps to reaffirm government’s commitment to the protection of lives and property.


As part of efforts to ensure justice, the Council resolved that all persons arrested in connection with the crisis between the affected communities should be charged to court without delay, rather than remaining in police custody indefinitely.


It further emphasised the need to recover the remains of those killed during the violence, noting that additional measures would be introduced to facilitate the process.


Responding to questions from journalists, Nwifuru disclosed that several arrests had been made in connection with the crisis. However, he maintained that under the law, every suspect remains innocent until proven guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction.


The governor noted that security agencies have made significant progress, resulting in relative peace in the affected areas.


On the closure of schools, he clarified that the reopening of schools was not discussed at the meeting. Schools in the affected communities will therefore remain closed pending further review at the next Council meeting.


Nwifuru reiterated that the curfew and other measures were imposed strictly to maintain law and order and safeguard lives and property, warning that without such interventions, the crisis could have escalated into a wider communal conflict.


Addressing concerns over social media commentary on the situation, the Council said it would not engage in public exchanges on security matters, describing such issues as sensitive.


The governor assured residents that investigations and arrests are ongoing and pledged that all those found culpable will be prosecuted in accordance with the law.


He expressed confidence that the measures being implemented would restore lasting peace to the affected communities.

Previous Post Next Post